Monday 12 December 2016

Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Part 3.

After a bit of un-illustrated dungeon exploring we get to:


The door opens to reveal a small room with a stone floor and dirty walls. There is a stale smell in the air. In the centre of the room is a makeshift wooden table on which is standing a lit candle. Under the table is a small box. In the far corner of the room is a straw mattress. You may either open the box (turn to 240) or leave the room (turn to 363)

Of course we open the box:

The box is light, but something rattles within. You open the lid and a small SNAKE darts out to bite at your wrist! You must fight the Snake.

SNAKE         SKILL 5    STAMINA 2

If you kill the Snake, turn to 145.


For this instalment I've had to make a very small box with a snake in it. I did consider making it life size, but in the end thought that it just had to be in miniature, as that's what I do and so I can actually game with it. But it was hard to work on this tiny scale (and even harder to photograph properly with my iphone).

I'm not at all sure what manufacturer made the snake and I relise it's more cobra than the original illustration. It's also not attacking in it's pose. Again I considered a scratchbuild, but thought I could actually spend my time better on scratchbuilding the box. I used plasticard, tissue paper, card, a bead and some crackle medium.




And here's the original illustration by Russ Nicholson

My photograph with a Prisma filter on it

And again with my hand in it.

Of course I completed my colouring in exercise too, which helped me think of the colours I wanted to use on the model itself.



Here I've tried to recreate the scene as depicted by the passage of text for page 240.  "The door opens to reveal a small room with a stone floor and dirty walls. There is a stale smell in the air. In the centre of the room is a makeshift wooden table on which is standing a lit candle. Under the table is a small box".



 Some WIP photos:


I had to employ my tweezers on this, as it was very fiddly trying to glue everything into place. Black plasticard for the box, green tissue paper hardened with pva for the lining, a bead for the clasp and some cardboard edging and hinges.


And just for scale purposes, seen here with my Deadcember model.



The box has fallen to the ground during your fight with the Snake and out of it has fallen a bronze-coloured key with the number 99 carved into it.  You may take this key with you (note it on your equipment list) and leave the room. Add 1 LUCK point and turn to 363...

No comments:

Post a Comment